When big sister got her panda purse last week, little sister wanted a purse too. We are a cat loving family, so I decided to make a little kitty cat purse using the same pattern as the panda purse. She loves it and could not wait until I was finished with all of the photos to start filling it up with her little toys.
This pattern is available for FREE on this website. If you’d like an ad-free printable PDF version, you may purchase it for a small fee from my Etsy or Ravelry shops. This version includes both the panda purse pattern, as well as instructions to make the cat purse! Thank you so much for supporting Loops & Love Crochet!
When I made this purse, I followed all of the pattern/steps in the Crochet Panda Purse pattern, but made the following changes:
- I used Red Heart Soft Baby Steps yarn (in light grape). This is also a worsted-weight yarn, but my purse came out a bit smaller than when I used the Caron Simply Soft yarn for the panda. Funny how worsted-weight yarns all work up a bit differently! I used Caron Simply Soft yarn (in watermelon) for the inner ears and the strap.
- I used buttons for the eyes instead of crocheting them. I just sewed them on with black yarn.
- I made a smaller nose. See nose pattern below. Stitch on whiskers and a mouth after attaching nose.
- I made cat ears instead of panda ears. See cat ear pattern below.
- I attached the zipper in the same way as for the panda, however, because this purse worked up a bit smaller, the zipper was a little long. I just trimmed off part of the zipper end when I was sewing it on.
To make this little cat purse, you will need the following materials that are pretty much the same as the materials for the panda purse:
- Worsted weight yarn – You can use any worsted-weight yarn for this project.
- 5 mm (H) crochet hook. These are my favorite hooks! I can crochet for hours without sore fingers!
- Zipper – I used a 7-inch zipper
- 2 black buttons – the ones I used are 7/8″
- Yarn needle for sewing pieces together and weaving in ends.
Row 1: Chain 5, SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain across. Chain 1, turn. (4)
Row 2: SC DEC (decrease), SC DEC. Chain 1, turn. (2)
Row 3: SC DEC. Don’t turn this round. SC in same stitch and in each stitch around the nose. Work 2 SC stitches in the 2 corners.
Cat Ears – Make 4 (2 in purse color and 2 in accent color. I did two purple and two pink)
Row 1: Chain 7, SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain across. Chain 1, turn. (6)
Row 2: SC DEC, SC, SC, SC DEC. Chain 1, turn. (4)
Row 3: SC across. Chain 1, turn. (4)
Row 4: SC DEC, SC DEC. Chain 1, turn. (2)
Row 5: SC across. Chain 1, turn. (2)
Row 6: SC DEC. Chain 1, turn. Do not fasten off. (1)
SC in each stitch around the ear. Work 2 SC in each corner. Join to first SC with a slip stitch. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Repeat for all 4 ears. Make 2 in your main color and 2 in your accent color.
Next you will be joining two triangles together to make a cat ear. Place a pink triangle on top of a purple one. Join purple yarn with a slip stitch in the top stitch of the triangles – make sure you join the yarn through both loops of both triangles. SC around each stitch, making sure you are continuing to work through both layers. Work 2 SC in each corner. When you get back to the top, SC same stitch where you made your slip stitch to join. Then join with a slip stitch to first SC. Fasten off. Leave a long tail to sew onto purse. Repeat for other two triangles to make the 2nd ear.
Sew ears onto the purse behind the zipper. Follow the same instructions as I used to sew on the panda ears.
That’s it! With just a few changes, you have made a cute little cat purse!
**You may make and sell any items made from my patterns, but please link back to my blog or Loops and Love Crochet. Please do not copy and post claiming it as your own. Please do not re-publish my photos as your own. Thank you!**
**Want to be kept in the loop? Be sure to like Loops and Love Crochet on Facebook and join the Loops and Love Crochet Group! Don’t forget to follow @loopsandlovecrochet on Instagram!**