The Easy Stripes Sunglasses Case is the first of the three easy sunglasses cases to be released on the blog! The other two cases will be released this week. Check out THIS POST for links to all three designs and more details!
To make the Easy Stripes Sunglasses Case, you’ll need to choose a main color and an accent color. A solid color combined with a variegated color makes a fun combination, as shown in the photo above! Or you can stripe two or more of your favorite colors. Have fun!
Remember to like Loops and Love Crochet on Facebook and join the Loops and Love Crochet Group! I’d also LOVE it if you followed @loopsandlovecrochet on Instagram!
If you like crochet video tutorials, check out (and subscribe to) my Loops and Love Crochet YouTube Channel!
Pin this post to your favorite Pinterest boards to save it for later!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. This is done at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Loops & Love Crochet!
This Easy Stripes Sunglasses Case crochet pattern is available for FREE on this website. If you prefer to work from an ad-free, printable PDF version of the pattern, you can purchase the Easy Sunglasses Cases PDF (includes all 3 patterns) for a small fee from my Etsy or Ravelry shops. Thank you so much for supporting Loops & Love Crochet!
- Worsted weight yarn – You can use any worsted weight yarn for these sunglass cases (cotton or acrylic). I used I Love This Cotton yarn. In the sunglasses case shown above, I used Brights Print and White.
- 4 mm crochet hook (Please note that I crochet a little on the tighter side, so if you crochet more loosely, you may need to go down to a 3.5mm hook. See the gauge below). I always use and love my Clover Amour hooks! They are honestly by far my favorite hooks!
- Buttons (any size you prefer)
- Yarn needle for sewing in ends and attaching the button
- Ch – chain
- Sl St – slip stitch
- SC – single crochet
- 2” x 2” square = 9 rows of 10 SC stitches.
- Joined Rounds – At the end of each round, you will be joining the last stitch of the round to the first one with a slip stitch. Then you will chain 1 and start the next round in the same stitch. This will create a more hidden seam. Chain 1 stitches do not count towards stitch count. When working the rounds of SC in back loops only, the join at the end of each round to the first stitch will be through both loops.
- Changing Colors – In this pattern, you will be changing colors at the end of the round, before joining. To change colors (and keep the color changes more hidden), complete the last single crochet in the first color up until the last yarn over. Yarn over with the new color and pull through last step the single crochet stitch. So, your SC will go like this: Insert hook into last stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over with new color over, pull through all loops on hook. Then you will join to the first stitch with a slip stitch and continue on in the new color. You can keep both colors attached on the inside of the sunglasses case (no need to carry your yarn or work it in and cut it). Just pull up the next color as needed when you make the color changes. I have a video tutorial for making color changes here.
- Size of Case – These sunglasses cases measure about 3” wide and 6.25” inches tall. If you need to change the size of the case to fit larger or smaller sunglasses, you can add or remove stitches from the starting chain, as needed depending on the size of case you are making. You’ll likely only need to add a couple of stitches to make a larger case. To be sure on the size, you can measure your sunglasses in the case as you are working it up.
- Make this pattern into a phone pouch – Yes, you can definitely make this pattern into a phone pouch! You’d just need to add some stitches to your starting chain to be sure that your phone would fit. Because all phones are different sizes, you’ll need to play around with the starting chain length to make a case large enough to fit your phone, but you can start out by adding 3 or 4 stitches to the starting chain and work up the first couple rounds. Then you can decide if the case will be wide enough. Keep in mind that, since you are working on both sides of the chain, each stitch you add to the starting chain will increase the stitch count by 2 stitches. For the height of the case, just crochet rounds until you are a round or taller than the phone you are making the case for.
Easy Stripes Sunglasses Cases – The Pattern
Round 1: In main color, chain 12, 2 SC in 2nd chain from hook, SC in next 9 stitches, make 4 SC in last stitch. Now, working on the other side of the chain, SC in the next 9 stitches, make 2 SC in last stitch (this will be the same stitch as the first 2 SC of the round). Join to first SC with a slip stitch, ch 1. (26)
Round 2: 2 SC in first stitch, SC in next 10 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch, SC in next, 2 SC in next, SC in each of the next 10 stitches, 2 SC in the next stitch, SC in last. Join, ch 1. (30)
Work the remaining rounds of this pattern in the back loops only (BLO).
Round 3: BLO SC in each stitch around, change to accent color. Join, ch 1. (30)
Round 4: BLO SC in each stitch around, change to main color. Join, ch 1. (30)
Rounds 5-6: BLO SC in each stitch around. Join, ch 1. (30)
*After round 6, change to accent color before joining.
Round 7: BLO SC in each stitch around, change to main color. Join, ch 1. (30)
Rounds 8-27: Continue rounds of BLO SC in each stitch around. Join, ch 1. (30). Alternate two rounds of the main color and one round of the accent color. You will finish with the last two rounds in the main color.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Attaching the Chain Loop and Button Closure
How to make the chain loop:
To attach the chain and button loop closure at the top of the sunglasses case, first, choose which side is going to be the back of the case. Now, with the back of the sunglasses case facing you, locate the two stitches in the center. Make a slip knot with your yarn, insert your hook in the center-right stitch and pull through the slip knot.
Next, chain your desired chain length (this will depend on how far down you want to place your button). I chained 12 for my case. Then attach the chain to the center-left stitch (the stitch to the left of where you joined your chain) with a slip stitch.
Fasten off and weave in both yarn tails.
Next, you will sew the button onto the case.
Sewing on the Button:
Using your yarn needle and yarn (or needle and thread if your buttonholes are too small for your yarn needle), attach your button to the front of the sunglasses case. With the front of the case facing you, line the center of the button up in the middle of the front of the bag, about 3-4 rounds down from the top. Before you start sewing, check to make sure that your chain is a good length to go around the button. If it is not, you can move your button upwards or downwards as needed to fit the chain.
Staring on the inside of the case, pass your needle through the case and through one of the holes on your button, then pass the needle back through the next buttonhole and through to the inside of your bag. Run your needle and yarn in and out of each of the buttonholes a couple of times before tying off and weaving in the ends.
When finished, your chain should loop around the button easily, but snug enough to stay in place.
You are all finished making your Easy Stripes Sunglasses Case! I hope you enjoyed this crochet pattern! Be sure to check out the Easy Hearts Sunglasses Case and the Easy Chevron Stripes Sunglasses Case on the blog! You can find their links HERE!
**Want to be kept in the loop? Be sure to like Loops and Love Crochet on Facebook and join the Loops and Love Crochet Group! Don’t forget to follow @loopsandlovecrochet on Instagram! Remember to tag Loops and Love Crochet when you post your finished projects on social media! I’d love to see them! **
*You may make and sell any items made from my patterns, but please link back to my blog or Loops & Love Crochet as the designer. Please do not copy this pattern or photos and share as your own, in part or in whole. Instead, please link back to the Loops and Love Crochet blog (especially when selling items you make from my patterns). Thank you!
Saturday 22nd of August 2020
Still cannot access pattern for striped sunglassesDelores
Loops and Love Crochet
Saturday 22nd of August 2020
The link for the Easy Stripes Sunglasses Case is here: https://www.loopsandlovecrochet.com/2020/08/17/easy-stripes-sunglasses-case/ If you scroll down on the page, you'll see the pattern. :)